Me, Being Political? Who Knew?

IMHO, and It's Free!



I'm not political. At all. I know that's a shame. But, few things bore me. Politics do.

Yet, I still get me toes wet, occasionally. Like for example, I've noticed that most of the Presidential Candidates endorse free college debt relief. Now, I'm old school here, or at least my knees are telling me I am, but I can't help but remember my own college experience.

Both my husband and I put in a lot of hours on work-study throughout our college careers and ended up with paying off a minor college debt over the course of our first 10 years of marriage. Was is difficult? Durn, yes!

Recently I had the privilege of doing a last minute spring break blast. We had to stop at the realtors to get the condo's key. What we didn't plan on was the long line made up mostly of college kids on spring break. Chattin' it up and filling out their party agenda for the next seven days.

Now, I'm not begrudging a young adult a short break from heavy studies, but what the heck??? Taking that break from work cost us a good chunk of money just for 3 days. And here was a large collection of poor college students heading to their condos in vehicles one year newer than ours.

I'm thinking if my husband and I were told from get-go as a young adult. that we would not have to pay back any college costs, we would have taken a spring break, probably a summer break, and hey, why not, even a winter break. And I ponder, how motivated would I have been to receive good grades amongst the vacationing? Not very.

You see, I learned a lot in college and not just in the classroom. Eating cold bean soup from a can in the dorm on a Saturday because the cafeteria was closed and I had no money, wasn't the end of the world. I survived. And I learned a little about appreciation, hope, and trust that God would take care of everything. That my real life would start soon. And it would be wonderful because I had worked to obtain the tools to get there.

Living hard makes you strive and thirst to make things better. Don't we want America to be better??? Wow, I do. Do we really want entitled, enabled, and spoiled young adults buying a $1K phone just to see if it's waterproof to their brand of beer? Is that the mentality we want for our future?

Man, I sound like an old hardcore Political Idiot, and I'm really not. Or at least the hardcore political part. I'm just believe that people ought to take responsibility for their choices in life. If you choose the path of a college education, fabulous! Pay for it. You're the one who will enjoy the income, why not be the one who footed the bill? Besides, it would seem apparent that it would make a person more frugal and appreciate the outcome so much more.

You know, I leaned a lot more from a cold can of soup while sitting cross-legged on a hard bunk, than I did at the beach. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third House on the Right~